Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Amoy Foreign Cemetery Photos

Bill Brown ... Xiamen University
I'm still scrambling to find photos of the Amoy Foreign Cemetery, and just received a promising e-mail from Marilou in Holland. Visit Marilou's Zaiton China Webshop; it offers many interesting books, including a few of my own (but don't hold that against her).

From Marilou:

"I will ask some friend here (he is from Xiamen) about photos of the cemetery.

"One of our more famous writers/poets in Holland, Slauerhoff, visted Amoy for longer time in the 1920's-'30's if I remember well. He was a doctor on a shippingline (Batavia(Djakarta)-Japan). He wrote an short story about Gulangyu, title: Spring-Island (Het Lente-eiland) . I dont think there is an English translation available. I am not sure if he also took photos himself . I can have a look on internet later. This book now is republished just last year, and illustrated with photos, however by a contemporary (Dutch) photographer."
met vriendelijke groet,
Marilou den Outer/ Geledraak.nl
-----------------------------------------
Yellow Dragon Productions Holland
Touchdown Center, #002
Leidsevaart 594
2014 HT Haarlem
SPONSORS van Geledraak.nl: VNC Asia Travel, Finnair

www.amoymagic.com


No comments: