Monday, January 19, 2009

Thomas Meichen of Amoy>

Bill Brown ... Xiamen University
I received this e-mail from Roger Clark, who was browsing the Amoy Mission for info on his great grandfather, Thomas Meichen, who was born in Amoy on 24 May 1849, and in 1875 married one of his shipmate's younger sisters--"a country girl from distant Cornwall," Clarke noted in a second e-mail. If anyone has any information, please contact me. Thanks! Bill

Dear Dr. Brown,

I found your e-mail address while researching the history of the Amoy mission & have been reading with interest your your edited version online.

My own interest in Amoy goes back to 1849 when my great-grandfather (Thomas Meichen) was born there. He eventually joined he Royal Navy where his record gives his birth date as 24 May 1849. He is also described on his record as "(Chinaman)".

I am guessing that his father was English, Irish, or American & that the name Meichen originated with his mother. It's possible that his father was also called Thomas. All pure speculation.

I wonder whether you know of any records of that time (1849) that would help clarify any of this? If he was illegitimate, I assume there would be no record of his birth. Any suggestions or ideas would be most welcome.

I appreciate your time & interest.

Sincerely,

Roger Clark






www.amoymagic.com

No comments: