Friday, September 5, 2008

Peter and Connie Anderson -- Fuzhou and Amoy





Peter Anderson, a missionary in Amoy (on Gulangyu, or Kulongsoo), married Constance of the English Presbyterian Mission, in Fiuzhou (Foochow). They were married in the beautiful old stone church on Nantai island--my favorite church in Fujian (right out of Celtic legend).

The Andersons had a big part in the Amoy Mission's relief work for refugees on Gulangyu Islet in 1938 and 1939, as I learned from their son, John Anderson, who was born in Hope Hospital. John only spent 18 months in Amoy, but in October 2008 he and his wife will return to Xiamen for a month to trace their Fujian roots, and find some of the old places his mother wrote about.

Sue and I met John and Jennifer (his wife) in their home in Mountain View, California, and they were kind enough to allow me to scan many of their photos, which I will upload as I have time. Please note that all of these photos belong to the Andersons; anyone using them without permission will be shot (with slow bullets). Seriously.... please contact me if you'd like any of the texts or photos, and I'll pass the word on to the Anderson.,

Enjoy Amoy! Dr. Bill

1 comment:

higginsantiques said...

I am an antiques dealer and I think I have a painting of an Amoy house prior to 1900. Photo is on www.higginsantiques.com, gao to gallery, then paintings, then 8365A.
Would love an Amoy identification (it isn't Shanghai as labeled)
Thanks
Michael Higgins
Michael@Higginsantiques.com